Combating periodontal disease is a daily challenge! One you accomplish by practicing good oral hygiene – brushing twice a day, using your formulated mouthwash once a day, and flossing daily as well.
But just with any disease, you’ll need an experienced doctor to help you stop or reverse the damage done so you can live your healthiest life! That’s where a periodontist comes in.
One of our experienced periodontists will draw up a personalized treatment plan to take back the health of your gums and help you keep your natural teeth. Once we’ve stopped the progression of your periodontal disease, you’ll enter your maintenance phase and one of the most important treatments is a regular deep cleaning procedure, also known as scaling and root planing.
Now you may be wondering if a deep cleaning is ever really necessary and what are some of the benefits of deep cleaning teeth. Get all the answers to your gum cleaning questions from our certified periodontal specialists!
Is a dental deep cleaning ever really necessary?
It’s a valid question for those new to periodontal treatment! A scaling and root planing procedure can seem overwhelming at first, especially if you’ve just begun your periodontal treatment. But keep in mind, every procedure outlined in your personalized treatment plan is necessary in halting or reversing your periodontal disease.
What are the benefits of a deep teeth cleaning?
Periodontal disease is an infection caused by plaque and tartar buildup on and beneath your gums. You remove plaque by brushing your teeth, but even a strong oral hygiene routine can’t remove all the plaque from your teeth (that’s why it’s important to visit your dentist twice a year for a professional cleaning as well).
But a dentist only removes plaque from the surfaces of your teeth so it’s important to attend regular periodontal maintenance appointments if you’ve been diagnosed with periodontal disease. Just like taking medication or insulin for diabetes, a deep cleaning procedure (scaling and root planing) is critical to treating your periodontal disease. Here’s a few of the benefits of receiving regular deep teeth cleanings for those with periodontal disease:
- Stops progression of periodontal disease. With no plaque or tartar below your gumline, your gum infection can’t advance in stages.
- Helps treat current infection. After a deep cleaning procedure, you can easily practice your oral hygiene routine to help your gum disease treatment do its job.
- Promotes healing. The bacteria in tartar is extremely irritating to your gums and without it, your gums will be able to slowly reattach to your tooth roots.
- Eliminates bad breath. Plaque is a sticky residue that collects on teeth when food is mixed with saliva. It can harbor bacteria that promotes bad breath and cavities.
- Protects your roots and jawbones. Your gums are the protective armor for your roots and jawbone! When gums become infected, they’ll start to peel away, exposing your roots and eventually your jawbones to damage.
Keep your periodontal disease at bay with the benefits of deep cleaning teeth!
Let us make your fight with periodontal disease a breeze! Our periodontists have the technology and experience to assist you in successfully treating your gum disease. Our practice has been providing advanced periodontal care in Tampa and New Port Richey since 1977!
If you’re looking for a top periodontist near Tampa Bay, request your appointment with us today.